Saturday, August 04, 2007

Poor equals real?

My dear friends,

almost 3 weeks of Argentinian experience have pasted and my mind is already blown away.
This country is just awesome, interesting and freaking cold right now.

Except for Tigre which is about 30km far away from BA and which is supposed to be the biggest Delta in the world, I have not left BA so far. There is just so much to see and so much to eat:)

Sometimes I fell like a little princess down here in Argentina. I go home by taxi, eat out for dinner or lunch almost every day and just enjoy the privileges of an European in Argentina.
But is this seriously a "real Argentinian experience"?.

Maybe it might be better to go out to eat where the poor people go, to buy my jeans where there are cheaper than a pair of socks of H&M or to go to a free puppet show instead of going to the movie theatre. Maybe I might get a "real experience". Maybe. However what about those Argentinian going to a movie theatre, buying there clothes in a mall and going out to eat in a posh restaurant. They are a part of Argentina as well. Sure, I do certainly admit that the privileged Argentinians just make a very small percentage of the Argentinian folk.
Consequently a poor experience is not a real experience, it is just more reliable ;)

Nonetheless I do not have the feeling that I will seriously dive into the real world of Argentina's biggest social class, the underclass.
Two days ago, I had my first day of university which again basically means that it was just an introduction day. Coming from outside, from a world where there are homeless people sleeping on the street every few metres, you just get one kind of tissues in the drugstore and criminal offence can be solved by paying the police, I went inside the university and could hardly believe my eyes.
I honestly thought that Dutch universities and especially hogeschools have a high technical standard but the fact that you get electronically registered when you come in and leave the building, tops it all. We even have our own bank and Subways.
The way back to reality was not that difficult and pretty harsh considering everybody was talking Spanish over there:)

On Monday my courses are going to start and I am more than ambitious to keep you up to date about my success factor in understanding;)


Snackbar in La Boca

La Boca

San Telmo Sunday market

an Telmo market

My landlady´s

My posh cocktail :D

My posh dinner :)

My posh dessert ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey hey.
wollte nur berichten, dass ich wieder online bin.
bin ab do abend dann aus london zurück.
meinst dann ist mal n skype- abend drin?
wie gehts dir da drüben im fernen argentinien..
ich drück dich!